random post

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Umbrella

I don't know why I have this tendency to patronize people. It's not as if I know any better; I just happen to have a big mouth.

I'm still doing that here, unfortunately. I don't think I categorize people into archetypes as instinctively anymore, but still -- some people just seem to fit into the molds so well. There's the good old down-to-earth guy, there's the crazy asshole, there's the quiet Asian girl, and there's the arrogant douchebag. Appearances and slight mannerisms aside, we all seem to come from a blueprint.

But on second thought, I lied. I know very well why I can be so patronizing.

I'm arrogant.

I've realized that I gravitate towards the archetype that seems lost and needs help, not necessarily because I'm a nice guy who likes helping, but because it's also a way to boost my ego. It's like how some college freshmen love helping seniors with college essays; I'm sure everyone has their own intentions for wanting to help, but there's definitely a certain kind of satisfaction from being a "superior" authority on something (even if its a false sense of authority).

"Help" may be the ends, but various are the means. I could be walking you back with my umbrella because I don't want you to get wet, or because I thought you looked lonely and wanted someone to talk to. Either way, I'm holding an umbrella above you.

That's the thing, though; regardless of what I'm doing and how you choose to interpret it, I'm still putting myself above you, intentionally or not.

Perhaps this is a better way of phrasing it:
Do you volunteer at a charity to help people? Or do you volunteer to feel good about yourself?

Just something to think about, I guess. Maybe I'm being too hard on myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment