random post

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Memento


If I had to choose a phrase to describe Harvard, I'd say "the future."

For the most part, I mean that as a compliment.

I'm not at liberty to generalize Harvard students, but I think it's safe to say that we're always thinking about the future. We build our brains and our resumes for that future in finance or medicine or law or academia or education or journalism or business. We go into hysterics figuring out which of the above we would like to in the future, and predicting our future happiness or satisfaction with said career. We are excited for the future, and we love thinking about all the ways that things can become just a little bit better if we make an effort. And though we're humble enough not to admit it, we like to think that to some extent, we are the future.

It's easy to find a dream of your own when everyone around you has theirs (though it can be quite intimidating).

I just hope we don't forget how we got to where we are and where we're going to be. Because once "we've made it," I think there's a very real possibility that we'll have lost touch with who we used to be.

I understand that the whole premise of colleges like Harvard is that they are life-changing. But apart from the academic part of it and the career aspect of it, I think we tend to overlook the fact that our value systems are also going to change. Things like our political views, our perspective, our social worlds, and our culture are all going to be affected one way or the other. You don't appreciate classical music? You wouldn't enjoy a debate about the origins of morality over jasmine tea? You don't follow what's going on in the White House? Then how can you consider yourself a Harvard graduate?

I generalize and dramatize, of course. But I still feel there's quite a bit of truth behind it.

So here's hoping that when I walk across that stage, I'll still recognize the Ryan of four years past, sitting far away in the back.

I hope he'll be smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment