random post

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Depressing thoughts

The weirdest thing happened today in my seminar.

We were watching a taped interview of a patient suffering from depression, and everyone else was commenting on how seriously depressed she was. They were saying things like, "Wow, I didn't know people could think about things so coldly," or "She talks with so little emotion, it's like she's the living dead."

There was clearly the bias of knowledge (they already knew she was clinically depressed), but even still, the professor thought that their comments were fairly precise.

But eventually the circle comes around to me, and all I'm thinking is Well, shit. I thought she seemed perfectly normal.

If anything, she reminded me of myself.


I think of depressing things. But being depressed is another thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment